SpeedTest is a network tool that measures upload and download speed of a connection as well as latency.
NetBeez offers scheduled Speedtests and the ability to conduct ad-hoc speed tests via the agent console.
Scheduled SpeedTest Tab
With NetBeez, speed tests can be configured and scheduled to run at a user-defined interval. On the Speed Test Tab under Tests, you can view existing speed tests or add a new one.
Scheduled Speed Test Details
To view the details of a specific scheduled speed test, click on the corresponding table entry on the Speed Test Tab. This will launch the Scheduled Speed Test Details.
The Scheduled Speed Test Details displays current and historical data about the test. In the first panel, the visual slider displays aggregate performance data about the test over time and serves as a means to access information on past test runs. For speed tests, the slider’s metrics include download speed (mbps), upload speed (mbps), and latency (ms). The default selection is the most recent test run. The second panel displays per-agent performance information about the selected test run. Upon clicking on an agent from the list of agents in the test, a third panel will open, which displays the historical data of that particular agent over time.
Setting Up a Scheduled Speed Test
To create a new scheduled speed test, click the Add Scheduled Speed Test entry on the Speed Test Tab. Follow these steps to configure your test:
- Select the Source Agents. The destination server is automatically determined by the SpeedTest service.
- Schedule the test
- If you want the test to run at a regular interval, select the Periodic scheduling option.
- Input a number and select the time unit (minutes, hours, days, and weeks).
- Optionally, you can choose to set the interval start time. If you do not set the interval start time, the test will first run upon saving and creating the scheduled speed test.
- If you need greater control over when and how often the test runs, select the Custom scheduling option.
- Select the time at which the test is to run. If you need the test to run at an additional time (e.g. at 2:00 AM and again at 8:00 AM), click the Plus button to access additional time input fields.
- Choose whether you would like the test to run daily or on select days, in which case, check which days.
- Click Save
Conducting a Speed Test with the Agent Console
It is possible to conduct an ad-hoc speed test on an individual agent via the Agent Console. Read more about the Agent Console here: [article link]
To run a speed test on the Agent Console:
- Open the Agent Details of the agent.
- Navigate to the Agent Console Tab
- Download the speedtest-cli Python script by pasting the following line into the console:
curl -s -Lo /usr/bin/speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
- Set the executable bit to the speedtest-cli script:
chmod +x /usr/bin/speedtest-cli
- Run the script. Optionally, add the
--simpleoption to prevent the full command output from being printed line by line.